The Davao City African Swine Fever Task Force (ASF TF) was created by virtue of Executive Order No. 37, Series of 2019 of the City Mayor Sara Z. Duterte last September 5, 2019. This was organized with the objective to protect the public and the swine industry of the city from the threats of African Swine Fever that spread in many countries. The composition of the task force are the following: Chairperson –City Mayor or City Administrator (as duly representative); Co-Chairman – City Veterinarian’s Office; and Members – City Planning & Dev’t Office, Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, City Agriculturist Office, City Health Office, City Information Office and Private Sector Representatives of Hog Raisers.
The ASF TF implements B.A.B.E.S. strategy to prevent the incursion of African Swine Fever (ASF) in Davao City. The following activities are being implemented by the ASF TF in line with the meaning of the acronym BABES, which are: B- BAN PORK IMPORT, A- AVOID SWILL FEEDING, B -BLOCK ENTRY, E -EDUCATE PEOPLE.
B- BAN PORK IMPORT
- The City Mayor issued the Executive Order No. 37, Series of 2019 or otherwise known as “An Order Creating the African Swine Fever Task Force, Defining its Duties, Functions, and for other Purposes” which was signed September 5, 2019.
- The City Mayor issued the Executive Order No. 39 Series of 2019 or otherwise known as “An Order for the Temporary Ban on all Live Pigs, Pork and Pork Related Products and By-Products, Whether Fresh, Frozen, Processed or cooked, including but not limited to frozen Boar Semen, from the entire Island of Luzon and other African Swine Fever Affected Areas and the Prohibition of Feeding Of Raw Swill/Food Waste (“Lamaw”) to Pigs in the City” signed last September 25, 2019.
- Conducted regular monitoring of slaughter houses, cold storages and processing plant in Lanang, Buhangin and Tibungco.
- Confiscated hot meat.
- Conducted surveillance and monitoring of canned goods and processed pork products in supermarkets, convenience stores and meat shops in Davao City.
- AVOID SWILL FEEDING
- Conducted series of orientation with Chinese restaurant, hotels, restaurant and hospitals in Davao City last September 18, 2019 and October 10, 2019.
- BLOCK ENTRY
- Coordinated with Task Force Davao and held meeting with them last September 12, 2019 for assistance in the animal quarantine checkpoints.
- Established animal quarantine checkpoints and foot baths in Lasang, Bunawan; Lacson,Calinan;Sirawan, Toril; and Dav-Sam Port&Sasa Port (Bangayan), Buhangin.
E- EDUCATE PEOPLE
- Attended an emergency meeting with Provincial and City Veterinarians of Region XI, Department of Agriculture XI, RADDL XI, VQS XI and Hog FADI last September 10, 2019.
- Conducted meeting with the City Administrator and the ASF Task Force Members such as CPDO, CDRRMO, CAO, CHO, CIO, Private Sector Representatives of Hog Raisers last September 13, 2019.
- Conducted an orientation with the Quarantine Team of ASF Task force last September 16, 2019 participated by BAI-VQS, TF Davao, CAO, DA-RFO XI and checkpoint personnel.
- Conducted an orientation with the ambulant vendors of Davao City and with the inter-agency Technical Support Teams of ASF Task Force last September 17, 2019.
- Participated in the 1st Mindanao Hog Raisers Forum which was sponsored by the Mindanao Development Authority headed by former Agriculture Secretary, Mr. Emmanuel “Manny” Piñol, last September 18, 2019.
- Conducted an orientation with the barangay captains in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd congressional districts of Davao last September 23, 24, and 26, consecutively.
- Attended a coordination meeting with Hog FADI, FDA XI, NBI XI, MINDA and VQS XI last October 4, 2019.
- Conducted meeting with the office Technical Support Team of ASF Task Force last October 9, 2019.
- Conducted an orientation with supermarket establishments in Davao last October 21, 2019.
- Conducted an orientation with Davao City Overland Transport Terminal last October 23, 2019 to address the concerns and queries of the bus & van operators regarding animals for transport.
IEC to different areas in the city for the whole month of September to October
attended by backyard hog raisers. Areas included are the following:
|TF Davao, Toril||Pañalum||BagoGallera|
|Hilltop, Langub||Pegdalahan, Pandaitan||Talomo River|
|Mojon, Langub||Lasang (RIC Federation)||Paquibato Proper|
|Pangyan, Sitio Asang||Daliao||Talomo|
|Prk. 24, Panacan||CVO District Office (Toril)||Matina Aplaya|
|New Society Vill., Ilang||Lizada||Maa|
|Mahayag||Bago Oshiro||Crossing BayabasMatina Pangi|
|Prk. 25-B, Panacan||New Valencia|
S- SUBMIT SAMPLE
- 70 kilos (more or less) pork ribs were confiscated at Sirawan Animal Quarantine checkpoint on October 23, 2019. Shipment is undocumented (no Meat Inspection Certificate and Shipping Permit from the point of origin – General Santos City) and transported by bus operator (Mandanao Star). It was disposed at Davao Thermo Biotech Corporation located at Binugao, Toril.
- Confiscated one (1) dead pig approximately weighing 200kg. from Sirawan Animal Quarantine Checkpoint transported from General Santos City on October 27, 2019. It was disposed at Davao Thermo Biotech Corporation at Binugao, Toril.
City Veterinarian’s Office Technical Support Team – ASF TF
Rapid Action Team
Leader : Dr. Noel Martin
Assistant : Mr. Benito Sevilla
Members : Mr. Reynaldo Abonero, Ms. Naomi Ruth Aquino, Ms. Meriam Laurel, Mr. Medardo Suarez, Mr. Nicasio Laurel, Mr. Nicasio Laurel, Mr. Darius Devilleres
Leader : Dr. Clarita Tellano
Assistant : Dr. Ma. Corazon Sepulveda
Members : Dr. Faith July Lanurias, Ms. Ma. Noreen Eng, All District Head Supervisors
Leader : Dr. Noel Martin
Assistant : Dr. Pearly Gay Pacaide
Members : Ms. Leah Punzalan, Mr. Crisanto Baiño, Mr. Hilario Eusebio, Mr. Ramon Millan, Mr. Albert Aquino, Mr. Teodolfo Tan
Leader : Dr. Gloria Marquez
Assistant : Dr. Cherry Mae Bariwa
Members : Ms. Arlene Lagare, Ms. Merry Christine Padios, All District Head Supervisors
Information, Education & Communication (IEC) Team
Leader : Dr. Agnes Amores
Assistant : Ms. Felynie Mohammed
Members : Mr. Alfredo Engyo, Ms. Monaliza Roxas, Ms. Melissa Sanoy, All District Head Supervisors